Sunday, February 16, 2014

Why do you think gardens have always been an intrinsic part of European culture?

Throughout these first couple weeks of class, studying diverse cultures like the Roman Empire, Grecian societies, and medieval times, it is clearer to me than ever before just how interconnected gardens have been throughout history in all different aspects of life. From Roman otium, to a medieval serf's need to supplement the diet, gardens, both on a large and small scale, are an integral piece of society. 


Gardening has always been very important to me, because I grew up exploring and learning about nature in my grandmother’s lush vegetable and herb garden, and spent my free time running around and scraping my knees in my mother’s flower garden. However, this is the first time I have really had the opportunity to explore gardens from a historical perspective, and it turns out even thousands of years ago, they were using gardens for some of the same reasons that I still do, as an escape.



Before technology, globalization, and our ability to have oranges all around the world in the dead of winter, serfs, villeins, and townspeople in the medieval times were supplying the nourishment for their own diets in their backyards. What has struck me during these past couple weeks of studying these ancient societies is that people thousands of years ago were much more connected and dependent on the land, something that many would say we are moving towards once again because of the local food movement. However, in these times, it was the common folk who had utilitarian gardens, while the ruling class had the luxury of a lush, sweeping garden for leisure and peace of mind. In this way, gardens are not only universal, but extraordinarily diverse in practice and application, as they still are. Gardens have transformed throughout time to fill the void we need them for at the time. Whether they are for aesthetic or useful purposes, a garden can be used by anyone, which is why they have been so prevalent throughout history, and are still relevant today. 




The Romans’ practice of otium in their gardens was something I connected with as well. Their appreciation of leisure time, and use of gardens or green space to do something creative or enlightening is something that has become very important to me, and for my own piece of mind, as I often use my access to gardens to think, reflect, or write. I suppose that the greatest surprise I have learned so far is that despite the great differences between our current modern societies, and those thousands of years ago, we still value gardens, and use green space in similar ways, both for usefulness and for leisure time. 


2 comments:

  1. Great post. I think it is so cool that even though gardens change so much across cultures and time that somehow they are always seen as a positive escape. There must be something about being outside surrounded by living things that creates happiness and provokes thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy that you connected our historical studies of gardens to your childhood, especially with your comment "It turns out even thousands of years ago, they were using gardens for some of the same reasons that I still do, as an escape." I had similar experiences as you mentioned - exploring nature as you grew up. It is crazy to think about how long they have been an intrinsic part of society and culture all around the world!

    ReplyDelete